error with bcp when migrating data to sql azure

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Hi,

I am tyring to migrate a simple database with one table and only two rows in that table from sql server 2008 r2 to sql azure nov ctp. However, I am getting the following error. Can someone help. It failed when the table had only one row so I added another row by reading a tracked issue but still the same error.

The table was created but no data there.

Thanks!

---

Process starting ...

-- Success: CREATE TABLE [dbo].[tb_accounts]( ...

Uploading data to "testdb.dbo.tb_accounts

Sorry, but BCP upload process failed:

SQLState = 42000, NativeError = 40531

Error = [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Server name cannot be determined. It must appear as the first segment of the server's dns name (servername.database.windows.net). Some libraries do not send the server name, in which case the server name must be included as part of the user name (username@servername). In addition, if both formats are used, the server names must match.

Processing finished

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Problem resolved as it turned out that I need to supply server name during login with this format: user@server, the server part must be there.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM
Edited Dec 26, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Hi Jeff,

i have exactly the same error (only sqlstate 37000) but i can't connect with user@server to the azure server environment with my credentials in the SQL azure wizard.

I tried Username@ceXXXXX.database.windows.net as username but it doesn't work. any idea what is going wrong:

Process starting ...

-- Success: CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [JournalStatusEntryGuid] ON [dbo].[amutak] ...

Uploading data to "Deltabike.dbo.amutak

Sorry, but BCP upload process failed:

SQLState = 37000, NativeError = 40531

Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Server name cannot be determined. It must appear as the first segment of the server's dns name (servername.database.windows.net). Some libraries do not send the server name, in which case the server name must be included as part of the user name (username@servername). In addition, if both formats are used, the server names must match.

If have it working now:

username is:

Username@ceXXXXX

so without database.windows.net

Gr Andre