Problem Running from SSMS Script with Data

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:51 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Hi, George/Wade:

The MigWiz behaved more or less as expected when generating a script directly from a local instance of AdventureWorksLT2008.

However, when I use SSMS's Script Wizard to generate a script with INSERT statements for data and then open the script in the MigWiz, clicking the Next button leads you directly to the login dialog for SQL Azure instead of giving you the opportunity to process the script to make it compatible with SQL Azure's T-SQL repertoire. Of course, you end up with a very large number of errors, which you can't easily fix in place and rerun.

Note that opening the script with data INSERTs takes a long time.

I'm aware that the instructions say that you can't import data with the MigWiz, but I would think a small fix to the workflow would solve the preceding issue. Tomorrow (Monday, Labor Day), I'll add an illustrated post about this issue to the OakLeaf Blog.

Cheers,

--rj

The promised post about the above issue is now online at http://oakleafblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/using-sql-azure-migration-wizard-with.html#Raw

--rj

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the suggestions and input.  I implemented an option that will allow the user to specify if they want the TSQL file parsed for incompatibilities.  I also modified the way I load a file and the performance issue you were talking about seems to have gone away.

Check out v0.2.6.

Thanks!