How important is the SQL Profiler Trace File Analysis?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM
The SQLAzureMW SQL Profiler Trace File Analyzer is immediately crashing on us for any database we try to analyze with it. Error CLR20r3. Not sure what the problem is.

However, the Database Analysis feature does work. It's my understanding that it provides less thorough analysis than the profiler analysis though. So my question is, how important is it that we file a way to get the profiler analysis working (we've already spun our wheels for many hours trying to find a solution with no avail). I'm tempted to go ahead with the migration using just the database analysis. Is this a bad thing? And if so, just a little bad or very bad. I'm not sure how much extra the profiler provides and how critical its extra analysis is.

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this issue.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2015 at 5:09 AM
Hi,

Yes, seeing the RED crash report for SQL Profiler Trace File Analyzer means that not all of the SQL components are installed. You have to make sure that all of the client tools are installed or it won't run.

The answer is it is not a bad thing if you don't do this. It is just an extra step that you can take.

Note that if all of your TSQL is in stored in the database (not dynamic TSQL), then there is no need to do the SQL Profiler Trace.

I hope this helps,
George
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Hi,

I found a bug in the code when writing out status messages and fixed it in:

v3.15.5 -- for machines running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or greater
v4.15.5 -- for machines running SQL Server 2012
v5.15.5 -- for machines running SQL Server 2014

Anyway, this bug might have been the problem you were running into. Please download the latest version and see if that works for you. Just note that you have to have the correct version of SQLAzureMW paired with the SQL Server bits you are running on your machine.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
George