Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Hello,

I receive the error when attempting to migrate a local database to Azure. I'm running version 3.9 of the migration wizard. My local server is running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1. I see from other posts, the most common cause is not running SP1. I have double-checked that SP1 is installed.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated,

Dave

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Hi, I am getting exactly the same problem.

Running migration tool against SQL 2008R2 Sp1, when I get to the step to connecto to Azure database, I get the message "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

I also installed Azure SDK 1.4

Will also be watching for any suggestions.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to verify that on the physical machine you are running SQLAzureMW that you also have SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 bits installed (not just pointing to a remote SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 instance).

That should be all that is required (SQLAzureMW & SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1).  Azure SDK is not required for database migrations.

Another test that you can do is using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (from the machine you are running SQLAzureMW on) connect to your SQL Database (Azure) instance and see if that works.  If SSMS works, then SQLAzureMW should work.

Also, is this the first time for both of you to run SQLAzureMW?  Or have you been successful before with an older version of SQLAzureMW and it is just v3.9 that is causing an issue?

Last question, is what Azure datacenter are you running against? 

If you want, we can connect offline and try to resolve.

Regards,
George

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I am also getting this error. I am running both SQLAzureMW and the database on my local machine. I am running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1617.0 (X64)   Apr 22 2011 19:23:43   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1). This instance is running on the gahbohaopn.database.windows.net server.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Further Detail. Even though I get this error and it does not provide me a list of existing databases. I am able to create a new database and execute the script successfully.

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

@jtolar, when I look at the @@Version on my machine, I have a little later version (10.50.2500).  Did you load the pre-release of SP1?

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) Jun 17 2011 00:54:03 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

You might try to reload it http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26727 and see what you get.

In regards to being able to successfully create a database and execute the script, once we get to this point in the application I no longer use SMO which is why it works after that point.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Hi,

Confirmed, SP1 is on the machine with SQLAzureMW. I can connect through SSMS.

As a work around, I just saved the scripts and ran them against my new Azure DB. That seemed to work.

I appreciate your quick response though.

Dave

From: ghuey [email removed]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 7:24 PM
To: Dave Getty
Subject: Re: Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array. [sqlazuremw:370917]

From: ghuey

Hi,

I just wanted to verify that on the physical machine you are running SQLAzureMW that you also have SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 bits installed (not just pointing to a remote SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 instance).

That should be all that is required (SQLAzureMW & SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1). Azure SDK is not required for database migrations.

Another test that you can do is using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (from the machine you are running SQLAzureMW on) connect to your SQL Database (Azure) instance and see if that works. If SSMS works, then SQLAzureMW should work.

Also, is this the first time for both of you to run SQLAzureMW? Or have you been successful before with an older version of SQLAzureMW and it is just v3.9 that is causing an issue?

Last question, is what Azure datacenter are you running against?

If you want, we can connect offline and try to resolve.

Regards,
George

Click here to report this email as spam.



Notice: This transmission is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email immediately. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.


This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM


Hi All,

 

Ok, I made some changes that might help a little.  I use SMO to generate scripts (views, tables, stored procs …), but I really didn’t need SMO for executing the script in SQL Database (Azure).  So, I made large modification to SQLAzureMW to get rid of the need for SMO against a target database (still need if for source database).  Anyway, as long as you are not using SQL Database as your source database, you should be fine.  So my ask is for you to download “SQLAzureMW v3.9.1 Beta Release Binary” and see if that works for you (should be the last link on the downloads page).  Please let me know if it works or does not work for you.

 

Thanks for your time,

George