Running tools on Web, Worker Roles

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I'd prefer to use these tools instead of the DAC Import/Export services recently announced: 

http://sqldacexamples.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Import%20Export%20Service%20Client&referringTitle=Documentation

Based on what I've seen, the BCP backup/restore is several times faster than this bacpac format. 

Trouble is, these tools seem to require the full SQL 2008 SP1 bits to be installed, rather than just BCP.exe + SQL Native Client.

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Hi,

I agree.  This is something that I have been thinking on and just have not gotten around to (setting up an install package that would install the client tools and BCP) doing anything.  I also need to find out if Microsoft will let me redistribute BCP & SMO with SQLAzureMW.  So, this is something on my todo list, but it keeps getting bumped down on the priority list.  You should be able to run SQLAzureMW on SQL Server 2008 R1 SP1 Express edition at no cost.

Thanks for your feedback,

George

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Hi there;

Thanks for your reply. I would personally bump this up on the list, the ideal place to run these tools (both backup and restore) is in the Azure environment.

It would open the door to lots of automation scenarios, ones that perform much better than the DAC Import/Export services.

(They took a strange route there.)

I did try the SQL Server 2008 R1 SP1 Express approach as well, that fails with:

Method not found: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.DatabaseEngineType Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.get_DatabaseEngineType()'.

This applies to both SQLAzureMW and the 2 batch tools.

Regards,
N.

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Ok, thanks for the info.  I will check this out as soon as I get my head above water.  I will post back what I find. 

Thanks,
George

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hi,

I have made some tests and there is no need to install a full version of Sql Server in order to make the Sql Azure Migration Wizard (or its command line versions) work. All that is needed are the Command Line Utilities and Shared Management Options which come as part of the Sql Server Feature Pack. For 2008 R2 SP1 they are available for download here. Note that the two components have some dependencies of their own, all of which are documented on the Feature Pack download page. In total 6 packages need to be installed:

- Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
- Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
- Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Shared Management Objects
- Windows Installer 4.5
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Command Line Utilities

Best regards,
Florin

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Hi Florin,

Was your test done on a local machine or did you actually get this to run in a Windows Azure worker role?

Thanks for the information,
George

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Hi George,

The test was done on a local clean virtual machine. As far as I remember, none of the packages requested a restart, but considering their rather large number, I am not sure they can be set up on Worker Role. Probably a VM Role would be more appropriate.

Off topic, since this is the first time I have the chance to talk to you, I would like to congratulate and thank you for making and sharing the Sql Azure Migration Wizard. It is one of the most useful resources in the Sql Azure / Sql Azure Federations world.

Only the best regards,
Florin