Problem with Backup command line tool

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I have noticed that starting abound the 19th of September the command line tool has stopped generating the date coded subdirectory for new backups. It workes correctly if I run from the config file with command line options given.

Currently running 3.8.0.0

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Eric

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Hi Eric,

Now that is a good question and I can’t say that I have a really good answer.  I think when I added the parameter -O I figured that the user wanted to override the output directory totally and I was not going to add the date / time to it.  That said, what you are asking is that I append a date / time directory at all times.  I can easily do this (as a matter of fact, I already have on my dev box), but before I ship I wanted to make sure that I didn’t mess anybody else up.

Should I make this change permanent?

Regards,

George

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Well George I for one have used your tool to backup several Azure databases and the date codes have given me the ability to keep an archive of backups. So I for one would love to see it.

Thanks,

Eric

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Hi George,

Happy new year.

So we had been discussing the command line tool and I was wondering:

1. If you had decided to make the change permanent?

2. If so when I could get a copy of the new version, so that I could rebuild my archives?

Regards,

Eric

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Hi Eric,

I made the requested change.  See “SQLAzureMWBatchBackup v3.8.0.1 Release Binary” and see if it works.

Let me know how it goes or if I need to make other changes.

Regards,

George

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Hi Eric,

Just as an FYI, I added a command line parameter that allows you to turn on or off the datetime subdirectory.  The parameter is:

-a {true or false}

The default is true (add the subdirectory).  You can also control this in the config file:

<add key="AppendDateTimeFolder" value="true"/>                     <!-- Adds a date time folder to the OutputDirectory -->

So now I think I have it setup for people who want the subdirectory and those who don’t.

Have a great day!

George

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Hi George,

The change has been working great. Thanks for the quick turnaround and the follow-up.

Eric