The data are not copied by the BCP utility despite the success of the summary of results

May 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Indeed, despite the fact that the Wizard is functioning properly and indicates that the data was copied from SQL to SQL Server 2008 R2 Azure, it is not the reality. My destination Database remains empty, just the tables schema is correctly copied but not the content. Sorry for my writing, I'm French.

Is it possible that this is because of my Windows system that is not English?

Where the problem can be?

May 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I managed to export the data.

There must be something wrong with the French translation of the tool in the file SQLAzureMW.exe.config!
The problem is similar to that of a German user who also create a discussion on this topic.

The solution is the copy of the section lines <en-US> ... </en-US> in section <fr-FR> ... <fr-FR> in my case.

I had previously attempted to delete section <fr-FR> ... <fr-FR> leaving only one <en-US> ... <en-US>, but it is clear that the copy is unsuccessful with this choice.

I hope this will help other users until you correct this problem in a future release.

Cordially.

ZaFoX47

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Hi ZaFoX47,

Sorry to hear you had a problem, glad to hear that you got it working.  So, just to verify, you replaced the French BCP translation (in <fr-FR>) with the contents of <en-US> and now you can export and upload to SQL Azure.  Is that right?  If so, then while your system might be set to French (or German), the output from BCP is in English.  What you can do is run a BCP command against your database and check the output to see what language it is in.  For example:

bcp Northwind.dbo.Customers out customer.dat -S localhost -n -E -T

Starting copy...

91 rows copied.
Network packet size (bytes): 4096
Clock Time (ms.) Total     : 31     Average : (2935.48 rows per sec.)

SQLAzureMW looks for the number of rows copied (in this case 91).  Anyway, you did the right action by modifying the SQLAzureMW.exe.config file.

Thanks for your input,
George


May 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Exactly.

I replaced the French BCP translation (in <fr-FR>) with the contents of <en-US> and now i can export and upload to SQL Azure.

I have a French Windows 7 System. I believe that the natural out of the BCP utility is English. I'm not sure, I'll check. I have an English version of SQL Server 2008 R2. That explains it. Perhaps it is necessary that all elements are French so that it works natively.

One thing that is curious is that the section devoted to the French section is strangely not very different from the English section. This was only intended to display the comments in the right language?

In any case, with the default settings for the Wizard, the BCP utility fails to migrate, it uploads only the table schema and not data. It indicates that the BCP utility could not count the number of rows copied.

In addition, SQLAzureMWBatchBackup v1.1.4 Release Binary & SQLAzureMWBatchUpload v3.6.1 Release Binary work hard together. The first creates a special folder in each generation, While the second attempts a recovery from a fixed directory. It doesn't find the *. sql generated by the first wizard. But you can edit the *. config to fix it.

In any case, the complete tool SQLAzureMW.exe now works perfectly. I was even able to copy a data table of about 150 MB.

Thank you for this tool that facilitates significantly the migration to SQL Azure.

If you want more details on my problem, do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards.

ZaFoX47