select source screen showing all databases but grayed out

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM

i was trying to migrate an existing sql azure database deployment to my localhost sqlexpress install in order to do localhost debugging and was finding that the sqlMw v3.3 release was crashing when i got to the begin migrate stage.   I downloaded the new v3.4 drop and now i'm finding that when i get to the select source screen its showing all the sql azure database choices but they are all grayed out.   If i point sqlMw v3.4 at a different sql azure environment it successfully lists all the db's and shows them not grayed out.

is there some aspect of the v3.4 update that might be causing me to have source connection databases grayed out which prevents me from selecting one and selecting next to move on to next screen of wizard?

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Hi,

Gray is supposed to mean that you are not dbowner of the database.  When you log in, I get all of the databases using SMO.  I then check to see if you are DB Owner.  If you are, then the database will be listed in black.  If you are not DB Owner, then the database will be listed in Gray.  If you are SA (or DB Owner) and you are still getting gray, then we will probably need to debug to understand why this is happening to you.

Regards,
George

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM

if i use sql server mgmt studio (ssms) to connect to the source sql azure database i have dbo permissions determiend by the fact that the user i connected with is the only sql account you can connect to the db with and if i click on the one sql azure sql account i used to connect and say script script user as create to query window i get "CREATE USER [SXP] WITHOUT LOGIN WITH DEFAULT_SCHEMA=[dbo]".   THere is no doubt something different about this sql azure connection that is causing database choices to be grayed out based on the fact that using the sqlMw v3.3 bits i didn't hit this issue, but i did crash sqlMw when attempting migrate, in addition to the fact that i can point sqlMw v3.3 & v3.4 and my own sql azure connection subscription and i don't run into these issues.   If you want we can connect off-discussion thread and provide you sql azure connection credentials to repro this issue.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Hi Robert,

I agree.  Lets take this offline so we can work on it and resolve.

Regards,
George

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:20 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM

It turns out the account i was given to access the sql azure source database was a limited access service connection credential. They gave me the full dbo access sql account and using that sqlmw v3.4 had no issues.   Apologies for the confusion around the source of the problem on this one.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I hit this too and worked around it by downloading the source code and modding it so that you can still access the db even if you aren't the db owner.  Not sure why that is in there as many ISPs don't make you DB owner...