support for processing vs10 dbproj .sql build output

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:17 AM

In the vs10 release there is support for a file | new | database | sql08 database project (dbproj) that when you build it produces a <dbproj name>\sql\debug\<dbproj name>\.sql file consisting of all the schema and pre + post deployment script settings you have defined in the project.   Has any testing been down to get the sql azure migration wizard to consume that .sql file build output directly and parse/correct/deploy the results to sql azure vs ones on-premise sql08r2 setup?   If not is this on the roadmap for the sql azure mw?

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM

That is a great question and it was not on my list.  But, I will take a look and see what I can do.

Thanks for the idea.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I needed the same thing, so I updated the source and added another tool, ...BatchMigrate.exe, which consumes the output tsql file, generates the azure sql, and uses the ...Batch.exe to deploy to my Azure service. 

I will upload the source on the patch page, but wanted to know if you [George or any other developer on this project] have a test script or any auotmated tests you run this code base against.  I ran through the use cases I have used and everything seems fine, but would like to run your test case list if you have one before I submit.  If not, I'll just upload what I have, including change details, with the caveat that I have only tested the GUI against migrating a full 2008 db and against the same dbs TSQL script.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM
Edited Oct 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM
Hi Josh.  In my case the scenario was a user creates a sql08r2 database using the entity framework / edmx model support for forward engineering a database. From there the user uses the new dbproj project template support for generating initial project schema files by reverse engineering from an existing database. From there I thought it would be useful to have a story where I could go from the build output of the dbproj to a sql azure deployment script.  If your proposed solution supports command line execution of that step all the better as it means it could be incorporated into a post build event for the cloud project during automated daily build processing such that the deployment of sql azure schema was included.
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Hi Josh,

All I have is a TSQL file for testing of my regex strings and AdventureWorks, Northwind, and a couple other databases (that do spatial) that I use for testing.  If I can migrate several of my databases, then I call it good.  I don't have any formal test beyond that.  Let me know when / where you post your code.  I would like to take a look at it.  Maybe I can put it in if that is ok with you.

Regards,
George

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:05 AM

I would love for you to put it in so I won't have to manage the code base after the next edition is released. I needed to add a couple of things today, like the ability to remove the entire command if it isn't supported, so I need to run a couple more tests but will upload the code to the patch page in the morning.
Is it ok if it is converted to 2010, or would you prefer the 2008 solutions?
Thanks,
Josh
Oct 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Hi George, I just posted the code on the patches page with a change description. Let me know if you need me to make changes.  Thanks, Josh.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Thanks!  I downloaded it and will check it out over the weekend.  Something about my boss wanting me to do my day job ... go figure :-)