Copy a database from SQL Azure to SQL Azure

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Hi,

I got a demand to try if your tool can copy a database from SQL Azure to SQL Azure.
It's in case a 1GB database is near to be full so we can copy it to a 10GB database.
Maybe Microsoft will provide a way to do it, but for the moment, it's not the case say the SQL Azure documentation :

You specify the edition of the database when you create it; you cannot change the edition after creation, although you can create new databases at any time.

I try setting an SQL Azure database as the source database. It manage to read the database, but I got an Exception.

Do you think you will add that way to copy database ?

Thanks.

Mathieu

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Hi,

Yes, I want to be able to do this.  The current problem is that SMO is not fully supported by SQL Azure (thus the Exeption that you are seeing).  Are you using UDDTs?  I might be able to get tables and stored procedures to work from SQL Azure to SQL Azure and if you have UDDTs or UDFs you could move them by hand.  Also, if you have large tables (ie. 400,000 rows) then that would be an issue as well because SQL Azure shuts down your link after 5 min (even on output).  I can solve this by chunking the data out but it will take me a little more time.

But for short term, would tables and stored procs be ok for SQL Azure to SQL Azure?

Regards,
George

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your help.
The exceptions are thrown when your Wizard is trying to use db.UserDefinedDataTypes.Count and db.UserDefinedFunctions.Count.
I don't need to copy a database from SQL Azure to SQL Azure now, but just knowing if I can do it with your tool.
That's not working for the moment, that's not a problem.
Microsoft is saying at the moment : "If you exceed the storage capacity, the service rejects additional inserts. Your database will not be automatically converted to an edition that supports additional inserts." but I think they will provide a way later to upgrade the database. I just hope it will be free.

Regards,
Mathieu

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Hi Mathieu,

Ok, you should be able to go from SQL Server to SQL Azure, SQL Azure to SQL Server, and SQL Azure to SQL Server.  Note that if you use UDDTs, then you will have problems.  Also, if you have large amouns of data in SQL Azure, then you might run into problems.  I need to put in chunking out of SQL Azure.  I will work on that, but I wanted to get this out for simple databases.

Let me know if you run into any issues so I can resolve.

Thanks!!!
George

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:30 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Hi George,

I tried to copy a small database from SQL Azure to SQL Azure ; it's working.
I just got the same problem as in SQL Server to SQL Azure with table with only 1 row.
http://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3288

Thanks for the work.

Mathieu

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Hi Mathieu,

I found the error and fixed it in v3.1.  Check it out and see if it works.

Thanks,
George

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Hi George,

Yep, working now.

Thanks,
Mathieu