Clustered indexes 'missing' on lookup tables

Mar 4 at 11:20 PM
Hi,

Thanks for creating such an awesome tool. I really like the UI for creating the database in Azure first.

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this question, just looking for some guidance on one of the migration issues flagged by the migration wizard. I've just discovered that I have several lookup tables that do not have clustered indexes and these won't run on Azure. If there are two columns and the lookup rows are unique, should I just create a compound key from the two columns and use this for the clustered index, or should I implement an incremental primary key?

Can you suggest any strategies or references that could help me decide the way forward?
Coordinator
Mar 5 at 5:20 AM
Hi,

Azure SQL DB v12 allows you to have tables without clustered index. I should not be flagging them as long as your target server is set to "SQL Database latest service version (V12)".

Check your target server on the front dialog or in the advanced options.

Regards,
George
Mar 7 at 2:56 PM
Thanks again George. That fixed it.

I've managed to ship my first two databases off to Azure! I'm starting to realise the constraints that working on a shared resource puts in place, some SQL to be reworked....

I'm trying to set up a dev environment for my current project which involves a lot of cross-database querying, I can see that this would require a pretty thorough redesign based around elastic database queries. That level of redesign isn't possible on the live environment so it's looking like Azure Database may not be the right tool in this case.

I may look at an Azure SQL VM instead, yuk. Had better get stuck into PowerShell so I can spin it up and down quickly and keep down my costs ;)

It's been a great learning experience, at least now I know Azure DB is there when the right situation comes around.

Thanks for your help.
Brian