Script Wizard take a lot of C Drive space.

Feb 16 at 9:35 PM
Hi There,

I am running Azure v5.15.6 tool for migrating 100GB SQL Server Database. While scripting, the tool take huge C Drive space for each of the table. Is this how the tool works?

For a table with over 3,00,000 records, it created 70GB .dat file. Is this correct behavior?

Regards,
Subhash.
Coordinator
Feb 23 at 1:01 PM
Hi Subhash,

It could, it depends on how much data you have per row. That said, BCP is what exports your data to file. If you edit SQLAzureMW.exe.config file you should be able to find:
<add key="BCPArgsIn" value="{0} in {1} -E -n -C RAW -b 1000 -a 4096"/>    <!-- BCP in command parameters -->
<add key="BCPArgsOut" value="&quot;{0}&quot; out {1} -E -n -C RAW"/>      <!-- BCP out command parameters -->
The above keys are what I used for the BCP out and BCP in. In the case of BCP out, you can see that I am using -n for output. I believe that is the most compressed. But if you want to play with BCP, you can check it out. Heck, you can even do all of that research outside of SQLAzureMW.

Now, in regards to diskspace, while you are looking at SQLAzureMW.exe.config, look for:
<add key="BCPFileDir" value="c:\SQLAzureMW\BCPData"/>              <!-- Input / Output file location for BCP table data.  If blank, then will use temp 
If you have a secondary drive, you can change the BCPFileDir value to point to a larger drive.

Hope this helps,
George