SQLAzureBatchMWBackup error AWSRDS->disk->AWSRDS

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM
I am attempting to automate a backup of an RDS database using the command line utility. I should note that I am able to script a backup using the GUI with no problem. I'm using the 3.x version of these tools because I am dealing with SqlServer 2008R2 and Windows Server 2008R2. I'm running the command line using the following syntax:

sqlazurebatchmwbackup -S hostdb.domain.com -U username -P password -D sourcedbname -O c:\mydir

I have made one change in the config file, which is to set the target DB to ServerType_SQLServer instead of azure. Everything else in the config file is a default value. When I change the password to a known-bad password, I get a login failed error, which is to be expected. When I use the good password, I get the error:

"An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch." The logfile populated in the backup directory does not give me any further clues.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what might be going on here. Perhaps a heavy debug option could give more clues?

Thanks
-Andrew
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Hi Andrew,

Sorry for being slow. Right off the top of my head, the GUI puts @hostdb (from your hostdb.domain.com) behind the username. If your db is not top secret and is something I can get to, or you can setup a dummy database for me in your environment, I would be happy to play with it until I can figure out what is wrong.

Note, that I am shipping new software (in my day job) and things are very hectic. So, my response will be very slow.

Regards,
George
Nov 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM
I have the same problem when I run SQLAzureMWBatchBackup v3.15.6.1 on SQLServer 2008R2.
"An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch."

I don't have any problem using SQLAzureMW v3.15.6 to generate schema and data. But I would like to use the SQLAzureMWBatchBackup to automate the process.

Is there anyway that I can debug or figure out what is the problem with SQLAzureMWBatchBackup ?

Thanks,

Bichvan
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM
Hi Bichvan,

You need to be sure you are running against SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or greater. Anything less will fail. You should be able to pull the source down and debug this locally on your machine if you want.

Regards,
George
Dec 16, 2015 at 9:17 PM
Hi George,

Thank you so much for your response. We have the base version of SQL 2008 R2.
That is the reason the script didn’t work.

Again, thanks for follow up on this problem.

0 0 1 34 197 Voxeo 1 1 230 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

Hi Bichvan,

You need to be sure you are running against SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or greater. Anything less will fail. You should be able to pull the source down and debug this locally on your machine if you want.

Regards,
George
This email (including any attachments) is proprietary to Aspect Software, Inc. and may contain information that is confidential. If you have received this message in error, please do not read, copy or forward this message. Please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. You may not further disclose or distribute this email or its attachments.