How to start program?

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:16 AM
Downloaded SQLAzureMW v5.15.5 for SQL Server 2014. Unzipped. Now how to get it to start?
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2015 at 5:47 AM
Hi Steve,

You will need to have SQL Server 2014 client installed on the machine you downloaded SQLAzureMW to. Once you have it unzipped to a folder, you need to right mouse click on SQLAzureMW.exe and do properties. From there, you need to unblock it, then hit ok. Once that is done, you can double click on SQLAzureMW.exe and run. From there, just follow the wizard and you should be good to go. If you have questions, on the DOWNLOADS page, I have SQLAzureMW documentation that walks you through the process. Also,

I have a video where I walk you through an example migration process, on MSDN Channel 9, with Scott Klein: SQL Database Migration Wizard

I hope this helps,
George
Apr 15, 2015 at 12:53 AM

Thanks for your response. As an ex-programmer/analyst, I remember the emphasis on “user friendly”. A program from the Internet that requires me to search properties, then unblock, then execute (but not the file named with .exe which is actually a .config file that asks about opening with Visual Studio, then finally getting to the first screen of your application, is NOT user friendly. You probably spent lots of time and effort creating a great program, but someone needs to think of us first time users that never saw your program before and aren’t sure if your program is going to screw up our computers.

Current concern, I have a SQL database hosted at GoDaddy. Your program expects my SQL database to be on my local machine. So nothing works right out of the box. Why does this have to be so hard? All I want to do is access an online SQL database with Visual Studio and LightSwitch. The problems I have had deploying a small sample LightSwitch program has had some experts telling me to switch to Azure. So I sign up for Azure. Now I need to get my SQL database from GoDaddy to Azure. I can access my GoDaddy SQL database just fine with Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate and also with Microsoft Server Management Studio, but now I have to get it into Azure. Why isn’t there just a simple wizard in Visual Studio to do this? All the Visual Studio sample training videos and documentation assume a local database. I want my few users to be able to access my SQL database from their mobile phones and I don’t want to host it on my computer. So far I’ve watched hours of Azure guys talking to each other but nothing that leads me to a quick solution.

I understand where your program would work well, but don’t understand how it can help me right now. I have a small (less than 1000 records, about half a dozen small tables) database, but I don’t want to have to type each record in from my printed copy of the records. I can’t believe I am the only person wanting to transfer a small SQL database from a shared hosting environment to Azure.

Thanks,

Steve Loehrke

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2015 at 4:18 AM
Hi Steve,

I can see that you are very frustrated with the process and for that I am sorry. In reality, I can migrate a SQL Server database using:
  1. SQL Server 2014 (with CU5 or later) to Azure SQL DB v12
    Right mouse click on SQL Server database and slide over Tasks and then select “Deploy Database to Azure SQL Database”
  2. Visual Studio (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/tools.aspx)
  3. SQLAzureMW
It would be my guess that you currently have your system to hide file extensions thus you see SQLAzureMW.exe.config as SQLAzureMW.exe. This is a system setting that you can change. Personally, I always remove the hide extensions so I can see exactly what I am clicking on.

In regards to my program looking at only a local SQL Server database, that is not true. When you run, it defaults to a local database, but you can enter your database connection information. So in your case, you would enter in your GoDaddy URL, username, and password. The wizard would connect to your database and then you can migrate it. Note that you have to select the “Advanced” button in the migration process to tell the wizard to migrate Schema and Data. After your database has been exported, you can choose your Azure SQL Database for migration. The whole process should take less than 3 minutes. I have used SQLAzureMW to migrate databases with hundreds of million records and thousands of objects (Tables, Views, Stored Procs, ...).

Anyway, I will be happy to do a video call with you and actually walk through the process. I will be happy to migrate it for you if you are willing to give me a temporary username / password. Just contact me offline (through codeplex) and I will be happy to get you up and running in Azure.

Regards,
George
Apr 16, 2015 at 4:04 AM

Howdy,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I will try to follow your exact steps as soon as I get a chance. I really appreciate your response. Hope it works for me.

Sorry it took me so long to answer your quick response. I hardly ever use this email address.

Sincerely,

Steve Loehrke

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2015 at 5:17 PM
HI Steve,

No problems. I will be happy to get you up and running if you need me.

Regards,
George
Apr 17, 2015 at 2:25 AM

Howdy again,

Option 1 doesn’t work. I can’t tell if I have CU5 or not. Help About says Microsoft Server 2014. Server Management Studio 12.0.2000.8. I connect to my SQL database at GoDaddy with my connection string. I can access and update the data tables of my DB. I go to Object Explorer, right click Tasks, Deploy DB to Azure, Next, then all I can do is Connect and it give me the same connection request that I used to start Server Management Studio, make sure my password is right, get error saying I cannot use Wizard to move Database. Dead end.

Option 3 – your program. First I checked Analyze Only. File to process only looks at my local computer, never a chance to enter in my GoDaddy URL, username or password. Dead end.

Will try Option 2 next.

Still lost in the woods.

Steve

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:35 AM

Option 2: Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Update 4. I went to Tools, added connection to my GoDaddy SQL database, test connection, OK, connected, tried to show data from one of my tables, worked fine. Now what? How to get my SQL database to Azure?

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2015 at 2:41 AM
Hi Steve,

Can you contact me through Codeplex? Just click on my name and you will be able to send me an email. I think the fastest way is for us to get together and walk through the process. I can share my screen with you and walk through the process with you. I am in central US time zone. Once you contact me, I will reply to you and we can chat.

Thanks,
George
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM
Hi Steve,

Here is a step by step instruction for SQLAzureMW.

Step 0: You need an Azure Account.
In your Azure account, create a SQL Database and be sure that your database is created for SQL Database v12. This process will also create your SQL Database Server which you will use in SQLAzureMW

Step 1: Run SQLAzureMW.exe
In this step, you should see the main menu displayed with several options.

Step 2: Under “Analyze / Migrate” select Database

Step 3: At the bottom of the main menu, select your target server. You should select “SQL Database latest service version (v12)” from the dropdown list.

Step 4: Hit “Next >” button.

Step 5: A “Connect to Server…” dialog will be displayed. This is the screen that allows you to connect to your GoDaddy (or other SQL Server instant) database.

a) Enter Server name. For example, if I was point to an SQL Azure Database, I could put in ekwa1037yv.database.windows.net
b) Select “SQL Server Authentication”
c) Enter user login
d) Enter user password
e) Mouse click Connect button

Step 6: A list of databases should be displayed from your source server. Select the database you want to migrate.

Step 7: Mouse click on “Next >”.

Step 8: You should now see “Choose Objects” dialog. Leave “Script all database objects” selected if you want to move all objects.

Step 9: You will notice a “Advanced” button. Click on this button.

Step 10: A Advanced Settings dialog will be displayed. Under Table/View Options look for “Script Table / Data” and make sure that “Table Schema with Data” is selected.

Step 11: Mouse click on OK.

Step 12: Mouse click “Next >”

Step 13: A “Script Wizard Summary” dialog will be displayed. Mouse click on “Next >”.

Step 14: A “Generate Script” dialog will be displayed asking if you are ready to generate SQL Script. Mouse click on “Yes”.

Step 15: A “Results Summary” dialog box will be displayed. Look for any errors in RED. If you have no RED errors, then your database is compatible and you can move on to the next step. If you have RED, look at the message and see what you need to do to resolve. Note that if you hit the “SQL Script” tab, you will see the actual TSQL script that you can modify.

Step 16: Mouse click on “Next >”.

Step 17: A “Connect to Server …” dialog will be displayed. Enter your Azure SQL DB information (i.e. ekwa1037yv.database.windows.net) with user login and password then mouse click on Connect.

Step 18: Now, a “Setup Target Server Connection” dialog will be displayed with the database you created in Step 0. Note that you can always create a new database by mouse clicking on “Create Database” (the create database process can take a couple of minutes to create, so expect some delay).

Step 19: Choose the database you want to migrate to from the Select Database list and click “Next >” (or just double click on the database you want.

Step 20: An Execute Script message box will appear asking you if you want to execute script (from step 15) against your target database. Select Yes.

Step 21: A Target Server Response dialog will be displayed and as the scripts and data are uploaded to the target server, a status message will be displayed for each object. Look at the Results and verify that there are no error messages. You can see error message in RED if they exists.

Step 22: You are done. You can save the results if you want or just mouse click on Exit.

From here, you can connect to SQL Server Management Studio or use the Azure portal to examine your database.

As a side note, here is where you can find SQL Server 2014 CU6 update: SQL Server 2014 CU6

I hope this helps,
George
Apr 18, 2015 at 2:46 AM

George Huey,

THANK YOU! I work a non-computer job during the day, so I wasn’t able to contact you with your requested email last night or today. However, when I got home tonight, I followed your instructions from your detailed email today. I had to wait a long time for GoDaddy to give me the list of databases on their server and in the meantime I tried to go BACK because the top bar on the window said something like “not responding”. Then I had to go forward again and tried to CONNECT again which got me in a loop with having to get the list of databases again, but finally I figured out that I needed not to connect again, but to click on NEXT lower down the page. Then I got a popup error that basically said I needed to allow access to my IP address for which I found the instruction online. Eventually I got to the end of your steps and EVERYTHING APPEARS TO BE WORKING! My SQL database is on Azure and I was able to access it with Visual Studio 2013!

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU SPENT RESPONDING TO MY PROBLEMS! I give you my highest reward for excellent customer support!

Please use me for a referral if you ever need a referral from a happy user of your software.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Now I will try to create a LightSwitch sample application using my own SQL Azure database.

May the sun ever shine on your parade.

The world needs more individuals like you. THANK YOU!

Steve Loehrke

920-540-9963

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2015 at 3:03 AM
Hi Steve,

You are too kind. I am very glad you are up and running.

Good luck on your application!
George