Playing with migrations tarting v12: everything is supported !

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM
I am trying to list all the things actually not supported in v12. And it's not easy :)

Initially, I was using the NotSupportedByAzureSQLDbV12.config, but it seems to be really out of sync with the reality of the current v12 (or I did not understand how this file is really used).

For example :
  • newsequentialid is supported
  • sys.databases is accessible
  • a lot of partition functions are available
  • DBCC SHRINKxxx are available
In fact, I was able to play the entire Northwind creation script on a v12 database.

Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good news :)

Edit: sorry for the typo in the title, I can't correct it :(
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:56 PM
Well, not everything is supported, nor do I expect that there will be a time soon where everything will be supported. I do know that they Azure SQL DB team is working fast and furious on getting Azure SQL DB as close to SQL Server as possible. In regards to NotSupportedByAzureSQLDbV12.config, yes, there is probably a few rules in there that are no longer true that I have not removed. I will note your examples above and do some testing and see verify that they are no longer an issue (like newsequentialid).

Thanks for the feedback and if you find any cases of false positives, please let me know.

Thanks,
George
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I went through a lot of the rules (like you noted above) and cleaned them up (v x.15.3). So, if you spot anything else, please let me know.

Thanks again,
George