Issues Migrating Azure SQL to SQL Server Local

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM
AzureSQLWM: 4.15
SQL Server 2012

Most of what I can find on this great tool is migrating from local SQL Server to Azure. I want to do the reverse.
  • I ran the tool and it generated a T-SQL file and all the .dat files for the table data.
  • I created an empty SQL Server db using SSMS
  • I ran that sql file generated from SQLAzureMW in SSMS against the new db I just created.
  • It created all the tables, but never imported the data.
I checked the .dat files and they all exist in the correct directory. I see that in the .sql file generated that these lines are commented out:
-- BCPArgs:8:[dbo].[CustomerRole] in "c:\SQLAzureMW\BCPData\dbo.CustomerRole.dat" -E -n -C RAW -b 1000 -a 4096
And then upon further inspection I'm guessing that BCPArgs is not a command SQL server will recognize. So I thought I had to run this sql file with SQLAzureMW somehow and it would recognize these commented files and know what to do.

I tried running SQLAzureMW using the options:
  • Analyze/Migrage: TSQL File
  • Target Server: SQL Server
  • File to Process: selected path to prior generated .sql file.
When I click next, it says "processing" and completes in 3 sec but doesn't seem to do anything else. It shows the SQL Script tab showing me the contents of the file. The results summary tab just lists the total processing time. But when I check the tables in the DB, no data.

So what am I missing? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but haven't been able to find any instructions in using the tool in this direction (Azure to SQL Server).

Thanks in advance,
Jan 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM

I am an idiot. This worked fine. What I didn't see was after using SQLAzureMW and using the Analyze/Migrate option, was that the first step must be just analyzing...then if you click the NEXT button (duh!), it actually prompts you for your destination database and then creates the table and copies the data correctly.
Marked as answer by chadwixk on 1/14/2015 at 3:34 PM
Jan 15, 2015 at 2:19 AM
:-). I am glad you are up and running!