naming of codeplex project and executable

May 6 at 6:28 PM
the sql database migration wizard seems more than happy to drive migrations between two (LocaDB) or on-premises sql servers or azure sql deployments, all goodness.

that being the case will we expect at some point this codeplex project to be renamed to simply sqlmw.codeplex.com, versus sqlazuremw.codeplex.com, and the executable to be sqlmw.exe, versus sqlazuremw.exe?
Coordinator
May 6 at 8:32 PM
Well, I have thought about changing the name of this project, but there is 5 years of history that follow SQLAzureMW. So, I have not bothered to change anything nor do I have any plans to change anything at this time. SQLAzureMW is not something that Microsoft supports or has anything to do with and they are creating their own tools that will eventually put this one to bed. Until that time, I plan on keeping this alive for fun and making enhancements in my spare time (if time permits since I can't live on fun). Anyway it is not my intention to replace SQL Server Management Studio or any of Microsoft tools and I would advise that if you need to move from SQL Server to other SQL Server that you default to Microsoft tools and if they can't do everything you need, then give SQLAzureMW a shot.

Does this help? Thanks for your thoughts.

Best Regards,
George
May 6 at 9:56 PM
thanks for the background details that helps.

any pointers to the sql14 gui [ and/or cli ] tools one should keep an eye on as being a possible oob alternative to your sql database migration wizard provided they ship with features not present in earlier platform releases?

in the mean time thanks again for great utiltity as it really helps to have a simple wizard story for moving database schema and data form work started in developer (LocalDB) default setup to azure sql database when it comes time to deploy and run in cloud. likewise when you have to move database schema and data across azure sql host setups.