Failing to Connect to SQL Azure....

Mar 17 at 6:23 PM
Edited Mar 17 at 6:45 PM
Hi,

Trying to use SQLAzureMW to migrate my MSSQL2008 R2 DB to SQL Azure. The script is generated fine, but then I am unable to connect to an existing SQL Azure DB or to create a new Database. I have setup the Azure firewall to accept my IP address. SQL Server Studio Management studio can now access the Azure DB, now that I have sorted the Firewall, but not SQLAzureMW....

Any ideas ..... ?

Is it because I am running SQL Server 2008 R2 and not SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 19 at 4:34 PM
Hi,

Yes, you are correct. You need to be running on SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or greater.

If you still can not connect after loading SP1 (or greater), let me know.

Regards,
George
Mar 21 at 7:35 PM
Hi,

I'm having connection issues as well when connecting to Azure. I'm on SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2.

Regards
John
Coordinator
Mar 21 at 9:12 PM
Hi John,

What error are you getting?

Thanks,
George
Mar 21 at 9:38 PM
Hi George,

I was able to resolve it. It was a password issue. I'm guessing it contained some characters that the migration tool did not like, but SQL Server Management Studio and Visual Studio didn't mind.

Thank you
John
Mar 21 at 11:24 PM
Hi All,

I am now connecting fine. You do need to be careful with the server name and username ie Superadmin@AzureServerName

I have to say SQL MW is wonderful.

Also, if you have not discovered it yet, I recommend SQL Server Data Tools for Schema and Data Comparison. I run it in VS2012, and it is fab for comparing SQL2008 with SQL Azure, and SQL Azure with SQL Azure etc....

Ed
Mar 21 at 11:29 PM
George, Thanks for this. I was actually running SP1 all the time. Just not very obvious when loading SQL Server Studio.