Copying azure database more then once.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I am trying to use SQL Database Migration Wizard 4.0.14 to get data from azure to my local database.
The process of retrieval looks to work fine but takes two hours.
I then run it against the local database and it failed with one of the tables inserting data.
The problem is now i have to start again, it will take two hours to do.
Is there a way i could just try to re-run all the files that already have been downloaded from azure?
Since the first part takes much longer but appears to work with no errors, i would like to be able to retry only the second part.
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Hi,

You what was the error? In regards to do you have to start over, it depends on the error. Did all the tables, views, stored procs, ... get transferred correctly? If so, then you can tell SQLAzureMW to just transfer data AND select only the tables you want to transfer again. Actually, all of the data should be on your local drive after the export. Once it is local, you can just create your own BCP command to upload the data to your local SQL database to the tables that failed (after you correct the error). You can also save the script after the export process and before the import process and put it in SQL Server query windows and run the script only the select sections of script that you want to modify.

So, the short answer is yes.

If you have any questions, please let me know. If nothing else, we can setup a quick con call to discuss.

Regards,
George