Index was outside the bounds of the array (but a little bit different)

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hi all!

I'm running this tool in  a computer with no sql server installed and I get this error.  I know sql server should be installed but I'm just trying the tool to see if it suitable for my scene.

the final scenario is a server with sql server 2005 and two db that will go to Azure (once they're in Azure, the server will stay). I do not want to install sql server 2008 SP1 because I know i 'll have to remove my sql server 2005 and transfering the db due to incompatibilities between them.

so what can i do to fix this error? If i get through this, I suppose I can make it work on the server 

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hi,

SQLAzureMW requires SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 (really the SMO and BCP parts).  I don’t think you actually have to install an “Instance” and you don’t have to move your SQL Server 2005 database to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1.  SQL Server 2005 should be able to run side by side with SQL Server 2008.  Now, that said, if your production server is the SQL Server 2005 machine, then what I would do is take a development laptop (or create a VM) and install SQL Server 2008 R2 Sp1 (eval edition) and SQLAzureMW.  Then you should be able to run, point to your SQL Server 2005 database and see what is compatible and what is not.

I hope this helps,

George

May 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

There are no updates in SQL 2008 R2 SP1 if you only have Sql Management Studio Installed.  Any ideas where to go from here?

Coordinator
May 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I am not 100% sure.  What I would do is download SQL Server 2008 R2 Evaluation edition or SQL Server 2012 Evaluation edition (for SQLAzureMW v4.0) and run against that.  You could also look at downloading all of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Management Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23650) and see if that works for you.

This should get you up and running.

Sorry I don't have a better solution at this time.
George