Unable to migrate database to Windows Azure

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Hello,

I am trying to migrate a database to Windows Azure using SQLAzureMW 3.7.7

I have SQL Server 2008 on Windows NT 64 bit OS

Everything goes well till "Choose Objects" Page where I get the error as below.

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application if you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

Microsoft.SqlSever.Mangement.Common.DatabaseEngine type

Microsoft.SqlSever.Mangement.Common.ConnectionManager.get_DatabaseEngine Type()

Everything freezes after I click continue.

Can anyone please help me solve this.

Regards

Sandeep

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Hi Sandeep,

On the machine that you are running SQLAzureMW, what version of SQL Server are you running on?  SQLAzureMW requires SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 in order to run.

Regards,

George

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:30 AM
Hi ghuey,

Thanks for the reply.
We have "SQL Server 2008" and not "SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1".
Is there any other way to take a backup of the database in this server and migrate it to Windows Azure cloud database ?

Regards
Sandeep

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:16:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Unable to migrate database to Windows Azure [sqlazuremw:276938]

Hi Sandeep,

On the machine that you are running SQLAzureMW, what version of SQL Server are you running on? SQLAzureMW requires SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 in order to run.

Regards,

George

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sqlazuremw@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email sqlazuremw@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Hi Sandeep,

The best way is to just find a non-production machine (or create a virtual machine) and install SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Express Edition if you wish) and then run SQLAzureMW and point to your SQL Server 2008 machine.  You don’t need SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 on your production machine, just the machine you are running SQLAzureMW from.  With SQL Server 2008, you will not be able to connect to your SQL Azure instance and browse objects.  There are a couple ways to export your database through SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Data-tier Application (DACPAC) or Generate Script), but once again, you need SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 to work with SQL Azure.

That said, you can do it the hard way (like I used to before SQLAzureMW) and that is use SQL Server Management Studio, Generate Script, edit the script to make it SQL Azure compatible, look for non-supported features (or just run and see what fails), refactor and try again.  Once you have your schema in SQL Azure, then use BCP to extract your data and then upload your data.

I don’t really know of an easy way to migrate with SQL Server 2008.

Hope this helps,

George