Using MW to Backup and Restore?

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Has anyone considered using the MW as a Backup and Restore tool?

I was wondering if the tool (or a derivative of) could backup the dat files to an Azure Blob Storage (create a new folder per restore point) and then if a restore is required, the bcp.exe could be pointed at the restore point folder and migrate the backuped dat files. In a SaaS application this would require the bcp.exe to be run in the cloud - not sure if this is possible.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Hi,

MW will not do a backup without manual user direction.  It can be used to restore from a known backup (created by SQLAzureMW and use SQLAzureMWBatch to restore).  What I need to work on is the command line backup process.  That said, I actually wrote a console program that will use BCP to unload data from all or some of your tables (depends on the table query).  It works great.  What I need to do is put that program in a worker role and use Azure storage to store the information (like you suggested).  So, I am working on that.  I believe that BCP will work in the Azure worker role as long as the assemblies required by BCP are uploaded to the worker role.  So, I am currently experimenting with that. I will see what I can come up with and let you know.

Now, all that said, I have heard from other people that this method described in Christian Weyer’s blog works very well: http://weblogs.thinktecture.com/cweyer/2011/01/automating-backup-of-a-sql-azure-database-to-azure-blob-storage-with-the-help-of-powershell-and-task-scheduler.html

Regards,

George

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Thanks George. Keep me posted on your progress.