SQLAzureMWBatch future plans

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Hi,

Currently SQLAzureMWBatch saying:

"Future release of SQLAzureMWBatch will let you point to a source database and have it migrate the source to the target server".

Any idea when this future will come true?

Tx.

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Hi,

No, I sure don't. I have it on my list but my day job keeps on getting in the way. Anyway, I don't expect to get to it anytime soon. Just out of curiosity, how fine grain of control are you looking for?  Just point to the database and say move?  Or do you want to specify categories (Views, Tables, Stored Procs, UDT, …) or do you want to specify down to individual object?  I will be out for the next couple of weeks, but I will move this up on my noodling list.

Regards,

George

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Hi George,

Thanks for the answer. I need to move all without any granular specification. Tables (with data) in a first place.

Tx.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Hi,

Ok, I just put out something called SQLAzureMWBatchBackup.  This is a batch process that lets you backup your database (SQL Azure or SQL Server).  Basically, it outputs a TSQL script (which can be used by SQLAzureMW or SQLAzureMWBatch) and BCP files to an output directory.  Be sure to look at the SQLAzureMWBatchBackup.exe.config file!  You can specify scripting of Views, Tables, Stored Procs, UDTs, UDDTs, … and Table / data.  So, if I wanted I could just run SQLAzureMWBatchBackup and just copy my data.  You can not (at this time) specify an individual object.

Anyway, this is v1.  I plan on creating documentation, but I wanted to get this out there since it has been on my plate for so long (sorry everybody).

Try it out and see what you think.

Regards,

George

May 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Hi George,

I have tried SQLAzureMWBatchBackup. It works great! Being a command line utility, we can even automate the backup process using windows scheduled task. Thanks for this utility.

Looking at the SQLAzureMWBatchBackup.exe.config, I was under impression that we can specify multiple SQL Azure databases by specifying different keys in appsetting tag however when I tried this, it only takes the backup for last added database. Is it possible to add that support, may be by adding sub-tags for multiple databases under appsetting tag? or if it is already supported, am I missing anything?

Thanks and Regards,

Amita

May 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Also, it would be good to have a support for storing the output files to azure blob storage.

Regards,
Amita

Coordinator
May 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hi Amita,

No, I had not thought of including multiple databases in the config file.  Good idea and I will take a look and see how easy that would be to implement.  For now, you should be able to just schedule x number of jobs and use the command line args to override the database (-D).  I.E.

SQLAzureMWBatchBackup.exe –D Northwind

SQLAzureMWBatchBackup.exe –D AdventureWorks

I also like the idea to writing to the Azure store.  I will have to experiment with that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

George