Download Azure DB structure & data

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Wonderful tool, works great moving my db's up to the SQLAzure, but now I'm in a situation where I need to pull data down from the SQLAzure db to my local SQL Server. It pulls the schema just fine but I sure can't figure out how to get it to pull down the data. Does it build some BCP files I need to run manually, or should the data come down automatically with the schema?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Hi,

If you run SQLAzureMW and point to your SQL Azure db as the source and then point to a local SQL Server instance as the destination, then it sould pull both schema and data.  Note that you should check the setting under the "Advanced" button to make sure that you are transfering both Schema and Data.  BCP is what is used in the background.

Regards,
George

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Thanks George, that's exactly what I'm doing. I am getting another error about "bcp can't determine the number of rows". I saw a posting about that which leads me to believe that my bcp utility is too old (10.0.4000.0). It looks like I need to upgrade my client side tools from SQL2K8 to SQL2K8 R2. Does this make sense?   --Thanks for the quick response.

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Upgrading to R2 did the trick for me. BCP is now at 10.50.1600.1 and everything seems to be working. Thanks. Great tool. Made my life easier many times now. Microsoft really MUST give us better SSMS / tools that work with Azure, or people will get frustrated and give up, or never even figure out how to get started.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2010 at 12:00 AM

This is good to hear!!!  I am glad that everything is working!!!