Backing Up Azure / How to get Data back?

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:05 AM

I used the SQL Azure Migration Wizard to migrate a SQL Server database to Azure.  It worked great.  Now I am worried about not having a backup of my new data.  I tried to use the Migration wizard to get my data off of Azure, but I don't see how to import it back into my local sql server database.  Is there a way to get this done?   Thanks.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Yes, you can just reverse the process.  The first time that you connect (Source database) you point to your SQL Azure instance.  Then when you get to the target database, just point to your local database (to a trusted login if you have that setup) and then create a backup database and run the scripts against that.  This should work with no proglems.  That will give you a local copy of your data.  If you want to have a backup / copy of your SQL Azure instance in SQL Azure, then you can use the just new release of COPY DATABASE (see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlazure/archive/2010/08/24/10053883.aspx)

Regards,
George

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Thank you for your response.  I must be doing something wrong.  I am using v3.3.5 and I select Analyze and Migrate SQL Database.  I choose Azure as the source, but it never allows me to select a destination.  Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

P.S.  The Copy Database is a cool feature, but it would require me to pay for another database and I would rather not spend the money when I can backup to a local source.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You will not be able to select a destination until after you have walked through the evaluation / generation process.  Once you hit the "Results Summary step, then you should be hit next and then connect to your target server.  Check out the SQLAzureMW documentation for more info.  If it still does not work, then maybe I can do a video and walk through the process and post it for you.  Let me know.

Regards, George

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:28 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2010 at 11:28 PM

George,

Thanks a lot for your help.  How in the world I kept missing the next button is beyond me; I kept hitting the exit button when it finished downloading my data.

Again, I appreciate it.