Issue With Unique Fields/Special Accent Characters

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Hi,

I have some tables in a database I'm using SQL Azure MW to backup from Azure and I always seem to get an error on a couple of tables where a column (or combination of columns, actually) is constrained to be unique (like a FirstName and LastName) column. What I'm finding is that I have entries that are very similar, identical actually -- other than they have accents in one version of the name and the other without. Example: ñ in one name, n in the other. The database can definitely handle both of these (as that is how they are stored in the cloud), but I get "Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint" errors when running a SQL Azure to Local DB migration. It creates the schema of the table without an issue in my local DB. If I write a simple .NET program to pull the Azure table into a DataTable and then just loop through, adding to the local SQL table, everything works as expected with accents preserved.

I am figuring this is an issue with the Migration Wizard. Any thoughts?

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Hi, I take it that scripting out of SQL Azure is not the issue, it is when you try to run that script against SQL Server? Can we take this up offline? Maybe send me the TSQL generated by SQLAzureMW so that I can run it against my server? Thanks, George