Configure output path for BCP files

May 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Hi,

I've been looking at the tool with a view to migrating our DB to Sql Azure and am pretty happy with it.  Good job, and sure beats the hell out of the procedure recommended in MSDN

However, I would like to be able to customize the output path of the BCP files that are generated, as they seem to be building in my AppData\Local\Temp folder with randomly generated names.  It would be great if I could specify the output location and filename format  (eg c:\Migration\Mytable.bcp  c:\Migration\AnotherTable.bcp  for tables called MyTable and AnotherTable)

I have a number of very large tables that I would like to generate BCP files for, but during migration testing I would like to trim the tables down to a managable size and genereate BCP files for the trimmed tables.  This will allow me to test the migration end to end in a speedy manner, and then simply swap in the actual BCP files when I want to run the migration for real when the rest of the app has been migrated.

Additionally, having the BCP files use  a known name and location will allow me to checkin the trimmed BCP files in version control so that other developers in our team can run the migration against their own Sql azure instance without taking hours to run the import

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Hi,

Sounds like a good idea.  I will put this on my todo list.

Regards,
George

May 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM
I've submitted a patch for your review in case you didn't see it... Thanks for a great tool.. Pete
Coordinator
May 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Thanks Pete.  V3.2.2 allows you to now specify the BCP output file location.  The information is stored in SQLAzureMW.exe.config file.  Let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,
George

May 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM

That works a treat!  

Cheers
Pete