Command line version?

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Are there plans to have a command line version?  This would be very useful to our team for automating deployments from BuildTracker.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I had been thinking about this, but didn’t know what to do with the analysis part or the select objects.  I guess I could put something in for CLI that just lets you move database from server A to server B without any analysis or object collection.  Is this all that you would need?  Suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
George

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I can, of course, only answer for the specific environment my team uses the MW for; in our case, we are looking to automate our deployment.  This particular use of the MW would require the CLI, and since the automated deployment would not be a place we would be looking for analysis a simpler "trust that the DB is compatible and just migrate it" CLI would serve our purpose.

Although in our situation we will want to select all objects, I can see a need for arguments to specify which objects to include ... although that could turn into an ugly string very quickly.

We still intend to use the GUI for analysis prior to setting up automated deployments; I suppose the CLI could perform the analysis (disable-able via command line) and if the analysis detects incompatibilities, could prompt (a) the user whether they wish to continue, (b) stop, or (c) automatically continue (something like a /y argument to continue without prompting).

May 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I'd like to add +1 for this:  It would help greatly for automated, hands-off generation of the migration scripts and BCP files if I could specify all the migration options in the config file (including output files) that would be great - I would wrap it all in MSBuild and be able to generate Azure migration scripts from our latest local DB build.

May 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM

As an afterthought, it would also be great to have the ability to specify a "pre" and "post" migration script.  For example to create users and logins.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hi All,

Ok, I made SQLAzureMWBatch.  I still have a long way to go, but at least it is a start.  Check out SQLAzureMWBatch documentation.

As a side note, I also made SQLAzureMWUtils which you can start to program against.

Regards,
George