Problem using the tool

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Hi,

I downloaded the latest version of this tool and tried to migrate my SQL Database to SQL Azure. Now on the page where it asks me for the SQL Azure username and passoword I got the following error.

TITLE: Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo
------------------------------
Failed to connect to server tcp:server.database.windows.net.
------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Server name cannot be determined.  It must appear as the first segment of the server's dns name (servername.database.windows.net).  Some libraries do not send the server name, in which case the server name must be included as part of the user name (username@servername).  In addition, if both formats are used, the server names must match. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 40531)

Please note that I tried giving username in both the manner i.e username@server and username@server.database.windows.net but it wont work. I tried using the same credentials to connect to SQL Azure via SSMS 2008 and it worked fine.

Please help.

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Hi,

I am sorry that you are having problems.  I can repo the error you got when I have the correct "Server name" entered and the wrong server name entered in the "User name" field.  For example if I have something like this:

Server name: yk8darma.database.windows.net
User Name: SysAdmin@yk8darma.database.windows.net

I get the same error.  If I just put in SysAdmin@yk8darma for user name, then it works fine.  For example:

User Name: SysAdmin@yk8darma

Are you running v3.1.9?  Can you try something for me?  Try entering your Server name and then for your user name, just enter (in my case) SysAdmin without the (in my case) @yk8darma.  For example:

User Name: SysAdmin

SQLAzurMW v3.1.9 should see that you don't have the @server appended to your user name and it should prompt you to see if you want it to add it for you.  Click yes and see what happens.

Regards,
George

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Hi,

You can also pull down v3.2 which checks user @SERVER against server name to make sure that they match.  Just a minor safety check.

Regards,
George

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Hi,

Extremely sorry for the discussion that I have started. It was actually my mistake. The tool is working fine and properly. The error i committed was that there was no need to append tcp: when the tool asks for the server name or username. When I removed tcp: from both the sides, it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot ghuey.

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Cool and no problem.  I am glad that you are up and running.

Hve fun!