SQL Database Migration Wizard (SQLAzureMW) is designed to help you migrate your SQL Server 2005/2008/2012/2014 databases to Azure SQL Database.
Watch George Huey as he walks you through an example migration process, on MSDN Channel 9, with Scott Klein:
SQL Database Migration Wizard
Check out the
TechNet Virtual Lab: Migrating a SQL Server Database to Microsoft Azure SQL Database
where you can use the SQLAzureMW to migrate the Northwind database to Azure SQL DB.
SQLAzureMW v3x and tools requires .NET Framework 3.5
and SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1
bits to run.
SQLAzureMW v4x and tools requires .NET Framework 4.5
and SQL Server 2012
bits to run.
SQLAzureMW v5x and tools requires .NET Framework 4.5
and SQL Server 2014
bits to run.
If you select the "download" button on this page, by default you will download SQLAzureMW v4.x. Click here if you want to run
. All downloads can be found
Microsoft Azure SQL Database
Microsoft® Azure SQL Database ™
is a cloud-based relational database service built on SQL Server® technologies. It provides a highly available, scalable, multi-tenant database service
hosted by Microsoft in the cloud. To sign up for Windows Azure SQL Database , go to
Windows Azure free trial
Azure SQL Database Preview v12
for Azure SQL Database, brings near-complete SQL Server engine compatibility and more Premium performance. This preview marks the first step in delivering the next generation of the SQL Database service which will bring customers more compatibility,
flexibility and performance.
The key highlights of this preview are as follows:
Azure SQL Database Service Tiers and Performance Levels
- Easier management of large databases to support heavier workloads with parallel queries (Premium only), table partitioning, online indexing and worry-free large index rebuilds with 2GB size limit removed, and alter database command.
- Support for key programmability functions to drive more robust application design with CLR, T-SQL Windows functions, XML index, and change tracking.
- Improved monitoring and troubleshooting: Extended Events (XEvents) and visibility into over 100 new table views via an expanded set of Database Management Views (DMVs).
- Greater performance in the Premium tier: Parallel queries and in-memory support for columnstore indexes on data mart analytics queries.
- New S3 performance level in the Standard tier: offers more pricing flexibility between Standard and Premium. S3 will deliver 100 DTU and all the features available in the Standard tier.
Microsoft Azure has introduced new
SQL Database Service Tiers
. I highly recommend that you start working with them as the old Web and Business editions will hit
end of life September 2015
so it will be good to plan ahead.
To get a better understanding of these service tiers check out this article by Microsoft’s Conor Cunningham, Kun Cheng, and Jan Engelsberg on
Basic, Standard, and Premium Preview for Azure SQL Database
Azure SQL Database Sharding
• A Channel9 session titled “SQL Database Sharding Patterns” was published on June 25th.
• A similar session titled “Patterns and Practices for Scaling Microsoft Azure SQL Database” content was presented at 24 Hours PASS on 25th June.
For a limited time, new customers can sign up for Azure SQL Database and get a 1GB Web Edition Database for no charge…and no commitment. This is a great way to try Azure SQL Database – and the Windows Azure platform – without the risk. For more information
Windows Azure Platform Introductory Special
SQLAzureMW Supported Languages
Project Description Continued
- SQLAzureMW が、国際対応できたことを発表できて光栄に思う。最初の翻訳言語は、日本語です！
- SQLAzureMW unterstützt nun die deutsche Sprache.
- SQLAzureMW ondersteunt nu de taal Nederlands.
- SQLAzureMW ahora soporta el idioma español.
- SQLAzureMW supporte maintenant la langue française
- SQLAzureMW 现在支持中文了。
- SQLAzureMW 現在已可支援繁體中文了。
SQL Database Migration Wizard (SQLAzureMW) is an open source application that has been used by thousands of people to migrate their SQL database to and from Windows Azure SQL Database. SQLAzureMW is a user interactive wizard that walks a person through the
analysis / migration process. One of the main requests from the SQLAzureMW community was to take the user interactive wizard and make it command line driven interface so that it could be used in an automated backup process to back up their Windows Azure SQL
Database schema / data to a data store for disaster recovery. I am excited to let you know that SQLAzureMW now has two tools that can be used from a command line:
Complete documentation for SQLAzureMW, SQLAzureMWBatchBackup and SQLAzureMWBatchUpload can be found on the download site.
- This is used to create a backup of a database schema and data. The data is downloaded via BCP. The TSQL output from SQLAzureMWBatchBackup can be used by SQLAzureMW or SQLAzureMWBatchUpload.
- Takes the output from SQLAzureMW or SQLAzureMWBatchBackup and runs it against the target Azure SQL Database (or SQL Server) server.
The SQLAzureMW tools greatly simplify schema analysis and migration process. If you don’t have an Windows Azure account and have been thinking about moving your data to the cloud (Microsoft Azure SQL Database), but have been afraid to try because of “unknowns”
like cost, compatibility, and effort? SQL Database Migration Wizard (SQLAzureMW) is a free set of open source applications that have been developed by the database community to help you address these issues. SQLAzureMW will help you analyze your SQL Server
database for compatibility issues and will migrate your schema and data to Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
SQLAzureMW Project Details
The SQL Database Migration Wizard (SQLAzureMW) gives you the options to analyzes, generates scripts, and migrate data (via BCP) from:
- SQL Server to Microsoft Azure SQL Database
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database to SQL Server
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database to Microsoft Azure SQL Database
It will also analyze SQL Profiler trace files and TSQL script for compatibility issues with Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
SQLAzureMWBatchBackup Project Details
- If your source is a SQL Server database, SQLAzureMW will list all of the object types (i.e. Tables, Stored Procedures, Views, etc.) and let you decide which ones you want analyzed / scripted. Using the “Advanced” options you can tell SQLAzureMW which compatibility
checks to perform and if the data should be migrated.
- If your source is a file containing TSQL, then you will be given the option to have SQLAzureMW check the TSQL for incompatibilities and fix where possible or just run the script without any compatibility checking.
- You can specify a SQL Profiler trace file for analysis.
The SQLAzureMWBatchBackup is a command line application that will analyze, create TSQL script of database and backup data (via BCP) from a SQL Server or SQL Azure database. The output of SQLAzureMWBatchBackup can be used in SQLAzureMWBatchUpload.
SQLAzureMWBatchUpload Project Details
The SQLAzureMWBatchUpload is a command line application that will run a TSQL script file (and use BCP to upload data) against a target server. SQLAzureMW and SQLAzureMWBatchBackup can be used to generate the TSQL script and the BCP files that can then be used
by SQLAzureMWBatchUpload for uploading to a target server. The target server can be Microsoft Azure SQL Database or SQL Server.
There is a config file “NotSupportedByAzureFile.Config” that is used to define what to look for / replace within the SQL generated code. This file uses RegEx expressions and if you see a pattern that you want removed from the SQL Script, you can put the pattern
in the config file and specify what you want to replace it with (if anything).
When the SQL script is generated, an analysis window will be displayed telling you what areas need to be fixed prior to running the script against Microsoft Azure SQL Database. Once you are satisfied, you can tell the wizard to run your script against Microsoft
Azure SQL Database and your script will be ran against your cloud database and the success / failed results will be displayed in a wizard window.
SQL Database Migration Wizard Utils (SQLAzureMWUtils)
SQLAzureMWUtils is a class library that a developer can use to assist them in developing for Microsoft Azure SQL Database. To find out more, read the SQLAzureMWBatch documentation.
SQL Database Migration Wizard does not catch all of the compatibility issues between different levels of SQL Server databases (i.e. level 90, 100, and 110). SQL Database is based on SQL Server 2014 (level 120). If you are migrating from an older database (level
80, 90, 100, and 110), you should go through the upgrade process first (at least in the dev environment) and once on SQL Server 2014, then migrate to Microsoft Azure SQL Database. Here are some great resources to help you with migrating from older versions
of SQL Server:
- Upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor
For information on Azure SQL Database and the Windows Azure Platform, please see the following resources:
We welcome your feedback! Please let us know if you like this tool or how we can improve it!